The System The System
In the widest sense any fleet administration system must be able to all or most of the following:
- Advise senior management on all aspects of fleet and business travel performance
- Ensure the right vehicles are provided to the right users at the right time - and at the right price
- Collect, record then check all costs accurately
- Record vehicle allocations:
As between drivers (where relevant); for tracking liabilities for Fixed Penalty Notices etc
- As between departments/ functions; for internal costings.
The detail of how these are achieved must relate to the other systems in the business, to provide the easiest way to integrate the data collection and interpretation as simply as possible. Many fleets use specialist software and most of these have good facilities to record mileage and fuel used.
A good green fleet policy can only be achieved with this information: simply putting a few "clean cars" into the fleet system will never be anything other than a token gesture. To be serious about reducing the environmental impact of the fleet - and of course reduce costs as well - needs a fuel performance analysis on an on-going basis.