The Daimler-Benz subsidiary "Auto Union GmbH" in Ingolstadt is taken over by Volkswagenwerk AG. Auto Union had been formed in the early 1930's from four brands, DKW, Hirch, Wanderer and Audi and in 1949 production of motorcycles and two-stroke Audi cars began production in Ingolstadt, Bavaria. By assuming ownership of this traditional and innovative brand, the Volkswagen Group widens its production range. At the same time, Volkswagen also gains access to a new generation of engines. Auto Union GmbH joins the Volkswagen Group as an independent subsidiary and forms the beginning of a group of brands.