In June 1945, Charles Radclyffe, as part of a unit of Royal Electrical Mechanical Engineers, arrived at the Volkswagen plant and assumed responsibility for setting up a British Army Repair depot. With his deputy, Major John MacGregor, he appointed Major Ivan Hirst to run the repair depot. Hirst wasn't long appointed before some of the existing workers managed to assemble two Beetles from the wreckage, using the only remaining working press. Later in October 1949, Colonel Charles Radclyffe signed the protocol turning over the Volkswagen works to the trusteeship of the federal German government. The State of Lower Saxony assumed responsibility for the administration.