Volkswagen signs an investment agreement with the Yugoslavian importer UNIS concerning the erection of a local production site. In accordance with this agreement, the joint enterprise "Tvornica Automobila Sarajevo" (TAS), is founded on June 14. TAS, of which Volkswagenwerk AG holds 49% of the capital, initially produces replacement parts and standard production parts for the Volkswagen. After a year long construction period, the new plant starts assembling the VW 1200, 1300 and 1303. In 1976, the site shifts over to the production of the Golf. On September 28, 1989, the 300,000th Volkswagen, an Alpine White Golf, rolls off the assembly line. The civil war and declining economic conditions cause a halt in production. Beginning on July 30, 1998, the cooperation between Volkswagen and UNIS continues with the "Volkswagen Sarajevo, d.o.o.". The company takes over TAS's heavily damaged production site and starts producing Skoda vehicles on August 31. In 2002, production of the Golf is added. Various Volkswagen, Audi and Skoda brand models are currently assembled at the plant.
Volkswagen Jetta, Caddy, Scirocco