Terms and Conditions Details of your Factory Warranty
The Factory Warranty is made up of the following terms and conditions
All new Volkswagen passenger cars purchased from an Authorised Retailer in the United Kingdom qualify for a 3 year vehicle warranty consisting of a 2 year/unlimited mileage warranty and a 3rd year warranty with a 60,000 mile limitation.
After the first two years of your warranty, your vehicle will be covered by a third year Volkswagen authorised network warranty if:
- The vehicle has not exceeded 60,000 miles
- The vehicle was imported by Volkswagen UK and supplied through the United Kingdom Volkswagen authorised network
This warranty will terminate on the anniversary of the third year from the date of original registration or at 60,000 miles, whichever is soonest.
Should the mileage exceed 60,000 miles within the first two years, the two-year manufacturer's warranty will still be valid, but you will not automatically have a third year of warranty.
Once the three-year warranty has expired, you can purchase a further warranty for additional years and higher mileages.
Please contact any member of the Volkswagen authorised network for further information.
Items where the lifetime of the component is or can be influenced by driving style and external factors will only be considered under the terms of the warranty for a period of six months or 6,500 miles (whichever is soonest).Beyond that limit, the defects must be classified as wear and tear and will not be covered by the Volkswagen warranty.
Components subject to wear and tear include, but are not limited to:
- Brake linings and disc pads
- Clutch release bearings
- Clutch pressure plates and centre plates
- Wiper blades (wiper rubbers have no warranty owing to their conditions of use)
- Seat and backrest covers
- Floor coverings
- Spark plugs
- Batteries for key fobs and alarms
- Light bulbs
- Shock Absorbers
Mechanical adjustments after six months or 6,500 miles (whichever is soonest) are also excluded from warranty cover such as:
- Adjustments to doors, flaps, boot lids, bonnets, sunroof
- Brake adjustment
- Clutch adjustment
- V belt adjustment
- Ignition adjustment
- Headlight adjustment
- Steering geometry adjustments
- Wheel balancing
Filters, gaskets, lubricants and sundry items are only accepted as part of a valid repair.
The warranty is not affected by any change in ownership of the vehicle.
Any defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered. This must of course be within the warranty period.
In the event of warranty repairs being necessary, any member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network will be able to carry out any rectification work under the terms of the manufacturer's warranty.
Any part which is replaced becomes the property of Volkswagen. Any replaced parts are covered for the unexpired period of the vehicle warranty.
You will complete any forms, give details and furnish any proof required in relation to a claim that Volkswagen or its authorised network may require.
Volkswagen reserves the right to appoint its own or an independent consultant engineer to inspect the vehicle prior to repair or replacement of the part(s) covered.
No party, other than Volkswagen, may amend the terms and conditions of the warranty in any way.
Travelling abroad within the first 2 years of your warranty
In the event of warranty repairs being necessary when travelling abroad, any member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network in the country you are visiting will be able to carry out any rectification work under the terms of the manufacturer's warranty. They will require the vehicle information data details contained in the front of your vehicle's service schedule booklet to enable them to carry out the repairs. They will undertake the repairs free of charge.
Travelling abroad within the 3rd year of your warranty
Should your Volkswagen suffer a manufacturing defect covered by the 3rd year warranty while outside the United Kingdom, the repair must be carried out by a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network in that country. The cost should be settled by you with the Repairer, and a claim made for reimbursement through your local member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network in the UK. In order for reimbursement to be possible the repair invoice must be returned to a UK Authorised Repairer within 14 calendar days of the invoice date.
Your vehicle should be serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations. Any damage to or defect in the vehicle caused by poor or insufficient servicing will not be remedied under the vehicle's warranty. Please ensure that you maintain sufficient records to enable our Authorised Network to confirm that the vehicle has been appropriately serviced. In any event, please ensure that the service schedule booklet in your vehicle is stamped by the business carrying out the service work.
Types of damage not covered by warranty includes, but are not limited to:
- Damage caused by your failure to take all reasonable steps to prevent mechanical damage from occurring, for example, taking appropriate action in the event of warning lights appearing.
- Damage or defects caused by not having the vehicle serviced in accordance with the manufacturer's recommendations.
- Damage or defects caused by improper use of the vehicle, neglect, or use of the vehicle for motor sports activities.
- Accident damage.
- Damage to paintwork, chrome or a convertible top caused by climatic, thermal, chemical or industrial pollution.
- Windscreen or glass breakage after a period of 1month/600 miles (whichever is soonest) from date of vehicle first registration.
Items which are excluded from warranty cover include but are not limited to:
- Components or equipment which are not part of the vehicle at the point of original manufacture.
- Fair wear and tear items, such as brake pads, brake discs, brake and clutch linings, wiper rubbers, spark plugs, bulbs and fuses, tyres, carpets and seat covers.
- Fluids, oils and coolants (except as part of a valid repair).
- Bodywork, unless the vehicle is subject to the Volkswagen anti-perforation warranty.
- Components, equipment or software (Chip tuning) which are not part of the vehicle at the point of original manufacture (unapproved modifications)
Please also note that wheel balancing and wheel alignment will not be carried out under the terms of your warranty, as the frequency with which this needs to be done depends on driving technique and road conditions.
Routine maintenance and servicing is not covered by the warranty.
Incidental or consequential costs such as hotel charges, car hire, loss of personal effects or income are not recoverable under the terms of the warranty.
Replacement parts warranty
All Volkswagen Original replacement parts carry a warranty for a period of 2 years/unlimited mileage, from the date of purchase. Items with warranties in excess of 2 years will be advised to you at the time of purchase. The 2 year warranty does not apply to parts fitted under the terms of the vehicle warranty, which are warranted for the remaining period of the vehicle warranty.
If you specify a Volkswagen Authorised Network approved, supplied and fitted accessory, at the time of vehicle purchase and it is included in the purchase price, this accessory is covered for the 3 year warranty. If you purchase a Volkswagen Authorised Network approved supplied and/or fitted accessory, after delivery, then the accessory is covered for 2 years/unlimited mileage, from the date of purchase. If you specify an accessory that is not approved, the terms of warranty, if any, should be clarified with the manufacturer of that accessory.
Three-Year Paint warranty
All Volkswagen passenger cars are provided with a warranty for a period of 3 years from the date of first registration against any manufacturing defects with the paintwork.
The only preconditions are:
- The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered. This must of course be within the warranty period.
- The defect must not be due to external influences such as accident damage, climatic, thermal, chemical or industrial pollution, insufficient care or maintenance. This will be determined by the member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network at the time of inspection.
Body protection warranty
All current Volkswagen vehicles are fully protected during manufacture against through corrosion for 12 years from the date of first registration.
The only preconditions are:
- The defect must be reported to a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network as soon as it is discovered and within the warranty period.
- The perforation must not have been caused originally by damage, neglect, insufficient care or maintenance or by external rusting.
- A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network must be advised about any rusting as soon as it is found.
- All body repairs will be carried out promptly in accordance with the manufacturer's specification and procedures, using only approved parts and materials, so the original level of anti-corrosion protection is maintained.
Volkswagen Authorised Network workmanship warranty
Members of the Volkswagen Authorised Network give a warranty for their workmanship on all repairs and servicing. The warranty on repairs is 1 year/12,000 miles from the date of the work, whichever occurs first. Should any repairs be required in that period on work carried out by a member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network, the original Repairer will carry out such repairs free of charge, provided:
- Repairs are required as a direct result of faulty workmanship by that member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network.
- Repairs are not required due to normal wear and tear or other exclusions. Items replaced under the terms of this warranty become the property of the Volkswagen Authorised Network. A member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network may choose to pay for work under this warranty to be carried out by another member of the Volkswagen Authorised Network.
Volkswagen Extended Warranty
Once the original warranty has expired, you can purchase an Extended Warranty. There is a wide range of cover available, depending upon the age, engine size and mileage of your car, so there's bound to be one that's right for you. Your Volkswagen Retailer will be happy to discuss the options with you or visit our Extended Warranty section for more detail.