Think Blue Think Blue, for a more efficient driving future
The Story of the Future.
In the beginning of the advert the "Think Blue. Symphony" refers to the slogan "Think small", which was used by Volkswagen in the 1960s. Step by step "Think small" turned into Think Blue, at first by giving thought to efficient mobility, for example the Camper, which offered space for eight people in a compact vehicle.
In 1993 the success story of the TDI engines started, and these still rank among the most fuel-efficient engines to this day. This era was followed by models that made history in terms of low fuel consumption: in 1999 the Lupo was introduced, including the 3L, which was the first car on the market to manage fuel economy of three litres per 100 km – 94.1 mpg. The Polo BlueMotion, launched in 2005, is among the most economical models in its class worldwide. In 2006 the first direct-injection turbo-charging petrol engines followed: TSI. Volkswagen is continuing these innovative successes with the XL1, presented in 2011 as first vehicle to use less than one litre of fuel per 100 km, which is an incredible 313 mpg. Also on the way are the all-electric up! Blue-e-Motion and the Golf Blue-e-Motion.
- Beetle 'Think Small': 'Think Small' is the slogan used by Volkswagen to launch the Beetle in the US in 1959
- TDI: In 1993 the success story of the TDI engines started. TDI engines are among the most fuel-efficient engines to this day. The TDI badge identifies all our diesel-powered models. Characteristic features of the TDI engines are high fuel economy, lower emissions, high pulling power (torque) and outstanding power efficiency
- Lupo: launched in 1999 - the first car to use just three litres of fuel for every 100km (94.1 mpg), and the most economical model worldwide (available as left-hand drive only)
- Polo BlueMotion: launched in 2005 is Volkswagen’s most fuel efficient Polo with the lowest CO2 emissions
- TSI: TSI is Volkswagen's pioneering technology for petrol engines. TSI engines are compact, high-powered and use less fuel. TSI technology blends the best of TDI diesel and FSI (fuel stratified direct injection) petrol engines to give excellent driveability. Launched in 2006
- XL1: a prototype vehicle that uses less than one litre of fuel for every 100km travelled – an amazing 313mpg
- Golf Blue-e-Motion: An electrically powered prototype, with a maximum power of 85kw (115PS) and a range of around 150 miles. Planned market introduction is post 2013.