Third party cookies
Volkswagen UK, a trading division of Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited (“we”/”us”) are committed to protecting and respecting any personal information you share with us.
This statement describes what types of information we collect from you, how it is used by us, how we share it with others, how you can manage the information we hold and how you can contact us.
We will always give you the option not to receive marketing communications from us. We will never send you unsolicited ‘junk’ email or communications, or share your data with anyone else who might. We do not sell your information to third parties, but we do work closely with selected partners who help us to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us. For example, the AA who provide roadside assistance on our behalf.
The contents of this statement may change from time to time so you may wish to check this page occasionally to ensure you are still happy to share your information with us. Where possible, we will also contact you directly to notify you of any substantial changes.
This version of our Privacy Statement is live from 9th April 2018.
What information do we collect?
We collect information about you and your vehicle when you engage with our website, applications or authorised repairer network. We only collect information which is necessary, relevant and adequate for the purpose you are providing it for.
We collect information about you or your vehicle when you use Volkswagen UK’s websites, applications and our customer service centres. We also obtain information about you or your vehicle from our authorised repairers. Some of this information does not identify you personally, but provides us with information about how you use our services and engage with us (we use this information to improve our services and make them more useful to you). The information we collect includes some or all of the following:
- Name (including title);
- Phone number;
- Date of birth;
- Email address;
- Vehicle information (including registration number, VIN, service reminders, mileage and warranty repair information);
- The date and time you used our services;
- The pages you visited on our website and how long you visited us for;
- Your IP address;
- Your GPS location (where you have permitted access to this);
- The internet browser and devices you are using;
- The website address from which you accessed our website;
- Details of any transactions between you and us or any authorised repairer;
- Where you engage with us in a business context, we may collect your job title, company contact details (including email addresses), fleet size and company details (some of which we may obtain from an online or public business directories);
- Voice recordings of calls you make to our customer service centre;
- “Live chat” records; and
- Any information within correspondence you send to us.
- Where you act on behalf of a business, any information we collect as part of business telemarketing activity
How do we use this information?
Volkswagen UK will only process information that is necessary for the purpose for which it has been collected. You will always have the option not to receive marketing communications from us (and you can withdraw your consent or object at any time). We will never send you unsolicited ‘junk’ email or communications, or share your personal information with anyone else who might.
There are various ways in which we may use or process your personal information. We list these below:
Where you have provided your consent, we may use and process your information to:
- Contact you from time to time about promotions, events, products, services or information which we think may be of interest to you (don’t worry, we won’t bombard you);
- Use automatic number plate recognition when you visit our authorised repairer network to alert them to your arrival at their premises.
- To share your personal information with our recommended third party partners, so that they can contact you with marketing information about their products and services (we will, of course, give you details about these third parties before you give your permission for us to send information to them).
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us on the details provided within the 'How can I manage the information we hold about you' section below or, in relation to any marketing messages you receive, by using the unsubscribe option included in those messages.
We may use and process your personal information where this is necessary to perform a contract with you and to fulfil and complete your orders, purchases and other transactions entered into with us (or one of our authorised repairers or selected partners).
We may use and process your personal information as set out below where it is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in our legitimate interests as a business to do so.
Processing necessary for us to support customers with sales and other enquiries
1. To respond to correspondence you send to us and fulfil the requests you make to us (for example: test drives, service requests, brochure requests or information about specific vehicles);
2. To provide vehicle support and services (for example warranty services);
Processing necessary for us to respond to understanding customers’ and drivers’ needs
3. To analyse, evaluate and improve our products and services so that your visit and use of our website, applications, customer service centre and authorised repairer network are more useful and enjoyable (we will generally use data amalgamated from many people so that it doesn’t identify you personally); To provide service, maintenance and warranty information and reminders, unless you object.
4. To undertake market analysis and research (including contacting you with customer surveys) so that we can better understand you as a customer and provide tailored offers, products and services that we think you will be interested in. We will only send marketing communications to you if you have provided your consent for us to do so or which we have obtained in the ways mentioned in the paragraphs above;
5. For product development purposes (for example to improve vehicle quality, performance and safety);
6. In some cases we may use automated methods to analyse, combine and evaluate information that you have provided to us (including the sharing of your personal information within our group of companies: Volkswagen Financial Services (UK) Limited, Volkswagen AG, Audi AG, SEAT S.A., SKODA AUTO a.s). We collect and analyse this information in this way so that we can deliver the most appropriate customer experience to you by tailoring and making relevant all our service and communications (for example, when your mileage suggests your vehicle is due for a service);
Processing necessary for us to promote our business, brands and products and measure the reach and effectiveness of our campaigns
7. To send you marketing information from time to time after you have purchased a product or service from us or made a purchasing enquiry, closed your browser with items in your shopping basket or requested a test drive, brochure or other information of interest. We will only contact you with information about our own products and services (and in ways the law allows), which we hope you will like. You have the right to object to us sending you this information at any time;
8. To contact you from time to time with marketing information (unless you object) if you have expressly indicated to us that you are acting on behalf of a business or where we have obtained your business contact details from our authorised repairer network or an online or public business directory. In relation to any such information we send by email or SMS, we will include an option allowing you to object to receiving future messages by unsubscribing;
9. To contact you with targeted advertising delivered online through social media and other platforms operated by other companies, unless you object. You may receive advertising based on information about you that we have provided to the platform or because, at our request, the platform has identified you as having similar attributes to the individuals whose details it has received from us. To find out more, please refer to the information provided in the help pages of the platforms on which you receive advertising from us; To send you information on our extended warranty products where you are benefiting from a current Volkswagen warranty and it is about to expire. You have the right to object to us sending this information at any time;
11. To administer competitions and promotions that you enter with us from time to time and to distribute prizes;
12. To contact you when your local authorised dealer / retailer opens, closes or moves premises.
Processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our business efficiently and effectively
13. To verify the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer;
14. For network and information security purposes i.e. in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access;
15. To comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights (for example where you have asked us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will keep a record of this on our suppression lists in order to be able to comply with your request);
16. To inform you of updates to our terms and conditions and policies.
We may process your personal information to comply with our legal requirements (for example to register your car with the DVLA).
Sometimes we will need to process your personal information to contact you if there is an urgent safety or product recall notice and we need to tell you about it.
How do we share this information?
We do not sell your information to third parties, but we do work closely with our authorised repairer network and with third party suppliers who fulfil business activities for us (like roadside assistance, marketing, events and market research etc.)
We do not sell your information to third parties. However, we may from time to time disclose your information to the following categories of companies or organisations to which we pass the responsibility to handle services on our behalf: roadside assistance service providers, customer contact centres, mobility and car hire providers, direct marketing communications agencies and consultants, market research and market analytics service providers, our legal and other professional advisors.
We will also share your information with our authorised repairer network in situations where we need to pass your information to them in order to manage any request or complaint you have made to us. For example, where you have requested a test drive, we will need to share your personal information with your selected authorised repairer so that they can contact you to arrange for the test drive to take place.
We take steps to ensure that any third-party partners who handle your information comply with data protection legislation and protect your information just as we do. We only disclose personal information that is necessary for them to provide the service that they are undertaking on our behalf. We will aim to anonymise your information or use aggregated none specific data sets where ever possible.
Due to the international nature of our business, there may be some instances where your information is processed or stored outside of the EU. In those instances, we will ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place for that transfer and storage as required by applicable law.
There are circumstances where we share your information with our parent (or other companies within our Group) in order to fulfil orders, transactions, handle complaints or provide you with a service or information that you have requested. For example; we will share information with Volkswagen Financial Services UK Limited where you enquire about their services through us or where you make a complaint to us and later make the same or similar complaint to them. Volkswagen Financial Services UK Limited may use your information to provide you with information and carry out their obligations arising from contracts you enter into with them. For more information, please see their privacy statement.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will not hold your personal information in an identifiable format for any longer than is necessary. If you are a customer or otherwise have a relationship with us we will hold personal information about you for a longer period than if we have obtained your details in connection with a prospective relationship.
We do not retain personal information in an identifiable format for longer than is necessary.
If we have a relationship with you (e.g. you are a customer or the registered driver of a leased or other vehicle purchased from us or an authorised repairer), we hold your personal information for 6 years from the date our relationship ends. We hold your personal information for this period to establish, bring or defend legal claims. Our relationship may end for a number of reasons including where the vehicle warranty or lease expires, or we have been made aware that you no longer own or drive that vehicle.
Where we have obtained your personal information following a request for information, test drive, brochure, quotation or any other information on any of our products or services, we hold your personal information for 1 year and 6 months from the date we collect that information, unless during that period we form a relationship with you e.g. you purchase or lease a vehicle. We hold your personal information for this period to give us an opportunity to form a relationship with you.
The only exceptions to the periods mentioned above are where:
- The law requires us to hold your personal information for a longer period, or delete it sooner;
- Where you have raised a legal claim, complaint or concern regarding a product or service offered by us, in which case we will retain your information for a period of 6 years following the date of that complaint or query; or
- You exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted or required under the law (see further How can I manage the information we hold about you);
How can I manage the information we hold about you?
You have the right as an individual to access your personal information we hold about you and make corrections if necessary. You also have the right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us and ask us to erase information we hold about you. You can also object to us using your personal information (where we rely on our business interests to process and use your personal information).
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information under data protection law. In relation to most rights, we will ask you for information to confirm your identity and, where applicable, to help us search for your personal information. Except in rare cases, we will respond to you within 30 days after we have received any request (including any identification documents requested).
You have the right to:
- Ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you;
- Correct and update your information;
- Withdraw your consent (where we rely on it). Please see further How do we use this information;
- Object to our use of your information (where we rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information) provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process the information. When we do rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information for direct marketing, we will always comply with your right to object;
- Erase your information (or restrict the use of it), provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process that information;
- Transfer your information in a structured data file (in a commonly used and machine readable format), where we rely on your consent to use and process your personal information or need to process it in connection with your contract.
Post: Volkswagen Customer Care, Selectapost 12, Sheffield, S97 3ZU
You can exercise the above rights and/or manage your information by contacting us using the details below:
If you are unhappy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection regulator in Europe, in particular in a country you work or live or where your legal rights have been infringed. The contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office, the data protection regulator in the UK, are below:
Post: Information Commissioner's Office
Call: 0303 123 1113
What are cookies?
"Cookies" are small text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website.
They allow the website to recognise your device and remember if you've been to the website before.
Cookies are used to measure which parts of the website people visit and to customise your experience. Cookies also provide information that helps us monitor and improve the website's performance.
You can read more about the different types of cookies that we use on this website on this page.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
Cookies help us to collect information on how people use our website and which pages they visit. They enable us to monitor the number of visitors and to analyse website usage patterns and trends.
We collect this information anonymously, so it doesn't identify anyone as an individual and no personal information is stored in our cookies. We always use cookie data in a responsible way.
Our aim is to continually improve the Volkswagen online experience. Cookies help to make our website work better and more efficiently. However, if you want to find out more on how to disable cookies you can do so here: www.allaboutcookies.org.
|These cookies save visitors time when filling in forms by remembering the details entered into contact forms to allow pre-population of forms the next time.|
|These cookies store website usage data to allow us to understand information such as browser usage, new visitor numbers and responses to marketing activity.|
|A functional cookie required by our web servers to respond to your actions. This cookie is required for the website to work.|
|siteReferrer||This cookie allows us to see how visitors have found their way to Volkswagen.co.uk.|
|This cookie helps us to optimise visitor experience by showing us how visitors are referred from Flash to HTML sections of Volkswagen.co.uk.|
|sifrFetch||This cookie prevents needless loading of existing information. It allows Adobe Flash sections of Volkswagen.co.uk to remember what fonts it already has.|
|These cookies help to improve the site by allowing us to receive the feedback that visitors leave.|
|These cookies optimise navigation and allow visitors to find Volkswagen retailer information by allowing our website to remember which Volkswagen retailer visitors have selected.|
|ccd_customer||This cookie allows us to remember which visitors have selected to view Company Car Driver sections of the website to display the correct content.|
|ab-mm||From time to time, we test new features of our website. This cookie allows us to track usage information for any new feature testing we run.|
|These cookies help us optimise the website by allowing us to track generic website usage statistics.|
|vw-user-cookie||This cookie remembers your login information.|
|VW_DISPLAY_NAME||This cookie remembers your name details.|
|CampaignUid||This cookie allows us to remember when users book test drives through Volkswagen campaigns.|
|_userSelectedFilter||This cookie allows visitors to use the model comparison section of the website.|
|configuration_v8||This cookie allows visitors to use the model configuration section of the website.|
|This cookie allows visitors to see different views of the website.|
|shownWelcomeMessage||Timeline cookie set once visitors have viewed the welcome message.|
|td_cvp||This cookie helps us to optimise visitor experience for test drive.|
|volkswagenUKBookAService||This cookie helps us to manage service booking experience.|
|This cookie provides users with a personalised experience.|
Third party cookies may come from partners that provide functional web tools for our site, other websites where we advertise and from social networks.
Examples of third party cookies:
Functional web tools: We offer some useful tools on Volkswagen.co.uk, such as the Volkswagen Used Car Locator which requires cookies from other Volkswagen group websites in order to allow it to find cars near to you.
Social network sharing: If you share content from Volkswagen.co.uk using social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, you may be sent cookies from these websites.
Volkswagen advertising: We sometimes advertise on other websites. These adverts use third party cookies to help them to display personalised ads that are relevant to you.
If you want to find out more on cookies please visit www.allaboutcookies.org
|psyma_participation||This cookie is used to indicate your participation in the Psyma online survey, as well as to prevent multiple invitations during a visit to this website whilst the survey is live (approx. 30 days). It does not contain any data from the survey or any reference to the individual visitor.|
|poi||This cookie helps us improve your online experience with Volkswagen by linking user survey participation information to our analytics system.|
|Sometimes we advertise on third party websites. These cookies are used to help us see which advertisements visitors interact with.|
|_ _uset||When visitors share content from our site, this cookie allows us to see what areas of the website are popular.|
|This cookie allows YouTube to collect usage information for YouTube hosted videos.|
|These cookies enable analytics software which helps us to understand information such as browser usage, new visitor numbers and responses to marketing activity.|
|These cookies allow Facebook users to interact with the website and share content.|
|These cookies allow Twitter users to interact with the website and share content.|
|This cookie is used to collect information about users browsing behaviour for marketing purposes.|
|Functional cookies set by the Used Car Locator. These cookies allow users to search for used Volkswagen cars.|
|These cookies allows users to interact with Volkswagen Vans website.|
|These cookies allows users to interact with the global Volkswagen website.|
|These cookies allow us to analyse what users do on our website and to obtain feedback from users.|