The Plug In Vehicle Grant* is a grant currently offered by the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) to eligible manufacturers to promote the purchase of ultra low emission vehicles.
The e‑Golf and e‑up! currently qualifies for this scheme. The £3,000 grant has already been deducted from the recommended 'on the road' price shown (and therefore the recommended 'on the road' price will increase in the event that grant funding is withdrawn, or eligibility for the grant or the grant amount changes, for any reason).
Customers purchasing an e‑Golf or e‑up! will receive a maximum of £3,000 off the purchase price. Your Volkswagen Retailer will submit the details of your order online in order to claim the grant funding. The grant is subject to full T&Cs and eligibility requirements.
To find out more contact your Volkswagen Retailer or visit https://www.gov.uk/plug-in-car-van-grants
Vehicle eligibility and grant figure correct as at 11/03/2020
*Terms and conditions
1. The OLEV Plug-In Vehicle Grants ("Grants") are subject to full terms and conditions and eligibility may be revised or withdrawn at any time without prior notice.
2. The Grant rates in effect from time to time are set out on the OLEV website and are subject to change in OLEV's sole discretion.
3. "Eligible Vehicle" means right-hand drive vehicles for sale through Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited (VWG)'s authorised retailers in the UK that meet all of OLEV's eligibility criteria and that have been approved by OLEV as eligible for the Grant from time to time.
4. "Purchase Price" means the full actual price of the Eligible Vehicle, including any discount on the vehicle, number plates, vehicle excise duty and VAT (as applicable) and excluding any optional extras, delivery charges and first registration fee.
5. The Grant is applied to the Purchase Price of an Eligible Vehicle purchased directly from authorised, participating retailers in the UK (England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland only),by either private or business customers and delivered and registered between 1 April 2015 and 31 March 2025. The Grant cannot be claimed for vehicles sold in the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man.
6. Customers do not need to go through an application process for the Grant. The Grant is applied to the Purchase Price of Eligible Vehicles at the point of purchase.
7. Vehicles which have been given the Grant are not to be exported (i.e. sold outside the UK) within 5 years from the date of purchase without prior written permission of the Secretary of State for Transport.
8. Customers must be residents of the UK, aged 18 years or over. Customers must have a UK address, register the vehicle in the UK, and must have paid UK Value Added Tax (VAT) on the vehicle. Members of the British Armed forces living abroad are eligible to claim for the Grant and can use their BFPO postcode. British diplomats living abroad or foreign diplomats living in the UK are also eligible to claim for the Grant.
9. The grant scheme may be withdrawn by OLEV and eligibility criteria and/or available grant amounts may change at any time.
10. For additional eligibility criteria and full terms and conditions please visit
11. To find out more about the benefits of owning an ultra low emission vehicle, visit
Our electric cars meet the criteria set to avoid the congestion charge and the charge for entering the Ultra-Low Emission Zone (ULEZ). This could save you £27.50 every time you travel into Central London. Many areas of London also offer free parking for electric vehicles.
The Government runs a grant to help make installing a wallbox charger at home cheaper. The Electric Vehicle Homecharge Scheme offers a 75% contribution (capped at £350) towards the installation cost for a home charging unit.
The Workplace Charging Scheme (WCS) provides a helping hand to businesses interested in installing charge-points on their premises. Eligible businesses, charities and public-sector organisations can all apply, and it could provide up to £14,000 towards installation costs.