Third party cookies
Volkswagen Community Guidelines
Volkswagen UK, a trading division of Volkswagen Group United Kingdom Limited (“we”/”us”) are committed to protecting and respecting any personal information you share with us.
This statement describes what types of information we collect from you, how it is used by us, how we share data with others, how you can manage the information we hold and how you can contact us.
We will always give you the option not to receive marketing communications from us. We will never send you unsolicited ‘junk’ email or communications, or share your data with anyone else who might. We do not sell your information to third parties, but we do work closely with our authorised repairers, Volkswagen Financial Services and selected partners who help us to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us. For example, the AA who provide roadside assistance on our behalf.
The contents of this statement may change from time to time so you may wish to check this page occasionally to ensure you are still happy to share your information with us. Where possible, we will also contact you directly to notify you of any substantial changes.
This version of our Privacy Statement is live from 13th June 2019.
What information do we collect?
We collect information about you and your vehicle when you engage with our website, applications or authorised repairer network. We only collect information which is necessary, relevant and adequate for the purpose you are providing it for.
We collect information about you or your vehicle when you use Volkswagen UK’s websites, applications and our customer service centres. We also obtain information about you or your vehicle from our authorised repairers, Volkswagen Financial Services and other companies who provide services to us, such as external agencies, consultants and IT providers. Some of this information does not identify you personally, but provides us with information about how you use our services and engage with us (we use this information to improve our services and make them more useful to you).
The information we collect includes some or all of the following:
- Name (including title);
- Phone number;
- Date of birth;
- Email address;
- Vehicle information (including registration number, VIN, service reminders, mileage and warranty repair information);
- The date and time you used our services;
- The pages you visited on our website and how long you visited us for;
- Your IP address;
- Your GPS location (where you have permitted access to this);
- The Internet browser and devices you are using;
- The website address from which you accessed our website;
- Details of any transactions between you and us or any authorised repairer;
- Where you engage with us in a business context, we may collect your job title, company contact details (including email addresses), fleet size and company details (some of which we may obtain from an online or public business directories);
- Voice recordings of calls you make to our customer service centre;
- “Live chat” records;
- Any information within correspondence you send to us;
- Where you act on behalf of a business, any information we collect as part of business telemarketing activity; and
- Where your vehicle is financed by Volkswagen Financial Services we may collect basic agreement information (agreement end date, parity date, service plan details, extended warranty information and finance agreement length)
How do we use this information?
Volkswagen UK will only process information that is necessary for the purpose for which it has been collected. You will always have the option not to receive marketing communications from us (and you can withdraw your consent or object at any time). We will never send you unsolicited ‘junk’ email or communications, or share your personal information with anyone else who might.
There are various ways in which we may use or process your personal information. We list these below:
Where you have provided your consent, we may use and process your information to:
- Contact you from time to time about promotions, events, products, services or information which we think may be of interest to you (don’t worry, we won’t bombard you);
- Use automatic number plate recognition when you visit our retailer network to alert them to your arrival at their premises.
- To share your personal information with our recommended third party partners, so that they can contact you with marketing information about their products and services (we will, of course, give you details about these third parties before you give your permission for us to send information to them).
You can withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us on the details provided within the 'How can I manage the information we hold about you' section below or, in relation to any marketing messages you receive, by using the unsubscribe option included in those messages.
We may use and process your personal information where this is necessary to perform a contract with you and to fulfil and complete your orders, purchases and other transactions entered into with us (or one of our authorised repairers or selected partners).
We may use and process your personal information as set out below where it is necessary for us to carry out activities for which it is in our legitimate interests as a business to do so.
Processing necessary for us to support customers with sales and other enquiries
1. To respond to correspondence you send to us and fulfil the requests you make to us (for example: test drives, service requests, brochure requests or information about specific vehicles);
2. To provide vehicle support and services (for example warranty services);
3. To provide service, maintenance and warranty information and reminders, unless you object.
Processing necessary for us to respond to understanding customers’ and drivers’ needs
4. To analyse, evaluate and improve our products and services so that your visit and use of our website, applications, customer service centre and retailer network are more useful and enjoyable (we will generally use data amalgamated from many people so that it doesn’t identify you personally).
5. To undertake market analysis and research (including contacting you with customer surveys) so that we can better understand you as a customer and provide tailored offers, products and services that we think you will be interested in. We will only send marketing communications to you if you have provided your consent for us to do so or which we have obtained in the ways mentioned in the paragraphs below;
6. For product development purposes (for example to improve vehicle quality, performance and safety);
7. We may use automated methods to analyse, combine and evaluate information that you have provided to us (including the sharing of your personal information within our group of companies like Volkswagen Financial Services, as well as Volkswagen AG, Audi AG, SEAT S.A., SKODA AUTO a.s). We collect and analyse this information in this way so that we can deliver the most appropriate customer experience to you by tailoring and making relevant all our service and communications (for example, when you might be ready to change your vehicle and the models you may be interested in);
Processing necessary for us to promote our business, brands and products and measure the reach and effectiveness of our campaigns
8. To send you marketing information from time to time after you have purchased a product or service from us or made a purchasing enquiry, closed your browser with items in your shopping basket or requested a test drive, brochure or other information of interest. We will only contact you with information about our own products and services (and in ways the law allows), which we hope you will like. You have the right to object to us sending you this information at any time.
9. To send you information on our extended warranty products where you are benefiting from a current [Brand] warranty and it is about to expire. You have the right to object to us sending this information at any time;
10. To contact you from time to time with marketing information (unless you object) if you have expressly indicated to us that you are acting on behalf of a business or where we have obtained your business contact details from our authorised retailer network or an online or public business directory. In relation to any such information we send by email or SMS, we will include an option allowing you to object to receiving future messages by unsubscribing;
11. To contact you with targeted advertising delivered online through social media and other platforms operated by other companies, unless you object. You may receive advertising based on information about you that we have provided to the platform or because, at our request, the platform has identified you as having similar attributes to the individuals whose details it has received from us. To find out more, please refer to the information provided in the help pages of the platforms on which you receive advertising from us;
13. To administer competitions and promotions that you enter with us from time to time and to distribute prizes;
14. To contact you when your local authorised retailer opens, closes or moves premises.
Processing necessary for us to assess and respond to complaints, claims and regulators
15. To respond to queries, complaints or claims and to manage legal and regulatory requests and requirements;
16. To enforce or protect our legal rights or to establish, bring or defend legal claims;
Processing necessary for us to operate the administrative and technical aspects of our business efficiently and effectively
17. To verify the accuracy of information that we hold about you and create a better understanding of you as a customer;
18. For network and information security purposes i.e. in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss, damage, theft or unauthorised access;
19. To comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights (for example where you have asked us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will keep a record of this on our suppression lists in order to be able to comply with your request);
20. To inform you of updates to our terms and conditions and policies.
We may process your personal information to comply with our legal or regulatory requirements (for example to register your car with the DVLA, to assist, or respond to a request for information from, an authorised authority, regulatory body or court, or to respond to a court order).
Sometimes we will need to process your personal information to contact you if there is an urgent safety or product recall notice and we need to tell you about it.
How do we share information?
We do not sell your information to third parties, but we do work closely with our retailer network and with third party suppliers who fulfil business activities for us (like roadside assistance, marketing, events and market research etc.)
We do not sell your information to third parties. However, we may from time to time disclose your information to the following categories of companies or organisations to which we pass the responsibility to handle services on our behalf: roadside assistance service providers, customer contact centres, mobility and car hire providers, direct marketing communications agencies and consultants, market research and market analytics service providers, our legal and other professional advisors.
We will also share your information with our retailer network in situations where we need to pass your information to them in order to manage any request, provide a service or handle any complaint you may have made to us. For example, where you have requested a test drive, we will need to share your personal information with your selected retailer so that they can contact you to arrange for the test drive to take place.
We will also share your personal information if we have a duty to do so, e.g. to register your car with the DVLA, to assist an authorised authority, regulatory body or court, or to enforce or protect our legal rights or to establish, bring or defend legal claims.
There are also circumstances where we share your information with our parent (or other companies within our Group) in order to understand you as a customer, fulfil orders, transactions, handle complaints or provide you with a service or information that you have requested. For example we will share information with Volkswagen Financial Services UK Limited where you enquire about their services through us or where you make a complaint to us and later make the same or similar complaint to them. Volkswagen Financial Services UK Limited may use your information to provide you with information and carry out their obligations arising from contracts you enter into with them. For more information, please see their privacy statement.
Due to the international nature of our business, there may be some instances where your information is processed or stored outside of the EU. In those instances, we will ensure that appropriate safeguards are in place for that transfer and storage as required by applicable law.
We take steps to ensure that any third party partners who handle your information comply with data protection legislation and protect your information just as we do. We only disclose personal information that is necessary for them to provide the service that they are undertaking on our behalf. We will aim to anonymise your information or use aggregated none specific data sets where ever possible.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will not hold your personal information in an identifiable format for any longer than is necessary. If you are a customer or otherwise have a relationship with us we will hold personal information about you for a longer period than if we have obtained your details in connection with a prospective relationship.
We do not retain personal information in an identifiable format for longer than is necessary.
If we have a relationship with you (e.g. you are a customer or the registered driver of a leased or other vehicle purchased from us or an authorised dealer), we hold your personal information for 6 years from the date our relationship ends. We hold your personal information after our relationship ends to establish, bring or defend legal claims. Our relationship may end for a number of reasons including where the vehicle warranty or lease expires, or we have been made aware that you no longer own or drive that vehicle.
Where we have obtained your personal information following a request for information, test drive, brochure, quotation or any other information on any of our products or services, we hold your personal information for 1 year and 6 months from the date we collect that information, unless during that period we form a relationship with you e.g. you purchase or lease a vehicle or consent for us to send you marketing information.
Where you have consented to receive marketing, regardless of whether or not we have a relationship with you, we will retain information we need to market to you for 3 years and 6 months from the date consent was given. Each time you provide your consent, the time period will refresh.
We hold your personal information for the above periods to give us an opportunity to form a relationship with you.
The only exceptions to the periods mentioned above are where:
- The law requires us to hold your personal information for a longer period, or delete it sooner;
- Where you have raised a legal claim, complaint or concern regarding a product or service offered by us, in which case we will retain your information for a period of 6 years following the date of that complaint or query; or
- You exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted or required under the law (see further How can I manage the information we hold about you);
How can I manage the information we hold about you?
You have the right as an individual to access your personal information we hold about you and make corrections if necessary. You also have the right to withdraw any consent you have previously given us and ask us to erase information we hold about you. You can also object to us using your personal information (where we rely on our business interests to process and use your personal information).
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information under data protection law. In relation to most rights, we will ask you for information to confirm your identity and, where applicable, to help us search for your personal information. Except in rare cases, we will respond to you within 30 days after we have received any request (including any identification documents requested).
You have the right to:
- Ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you;
- Correct and update your information;
- Withdraw your consent (where we rely on it). Please see further How do we use this information;
- Object to our use of your information (where we rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information) provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process the information. When we do rely on our legitimate interests to use your personal information for direct marketing, we will always comply with your right to object;
- Erase your information (or restrict the use of it), provided we do not have any continuing lawful reason to continue to use and process that information;
- Transfer your information in a structured data file (in a commonly used and machine readable format), where we rely on your consent to use and process your personal information or need to process it in connection with your contract.
Post: Volkswagen Customer Care, Selectapost 12, Sheffield, S97 3ZU
You can exercise the above rights and/or manage your information by contacting us using the details below:
If you are unhappy, you have the right to lodge a complaint with a data protection regulator in Europe, in particular in a country you work or live or where your legal rights have been infringed. The contact details for the Information Commissioner’s Office, the data protection regulator in the UK, are below:
Post: Information Commissioner's Office
Call: 0303 123 1113
What are cookies?
"Cookies" are small text files that are stored on your computer or mobile device when you visit a website.
They allow the website to recognise your device and remember if you've been to the website before.
Cookies are used to measure which parts of the website people visit and to customise your experience. Cookies also provide information that helps us monitor and improve the website's performance.
You can read more about the different types of cookies that we use on this website on "Our cookies" tab. If you wish to manage your cookie preferences, please click here.
To find out more about cookies, including how to see what cookies have been set on your computer and how to manage and delete them, visit www.allaboutcookies.org
Cookies help us to collect information on how people use our website and which pages they visit. They enable us to monitor the number of visitors and to analyse website usage patterns and trends.
We collect this information anonymously, so it doesn't identify anyone as an individual and no personal information is stored in our cookies. We always use cookie data in a responsible way.
Our aim is to continually improve the Volkswagen online experience. Cookies help to make our website work better and more efficiently. However, if you want to find out more on how to disable cookies you can do so here: www.allaboutcookies.org.
This is a functional cookie which allows the website servers to respond to your actions; in this case, creating a chat session.
|This cookie allows users to interact with our Live Chat tool.|
|k2c_Launch||This cookie allows users to interact with our Live Chat tool.|
|This cookie is part of the suite to allow Live Chat to function correctly.|
|k2c_VWUK||This cookie allows users to interact with our Live Chat tool.|
|k2c_VWUK_cids||This cookie allows users to interact with our Live Chat tool.|
|k2c_VWUKFleet||This cookie allows users to interact with our Live Chat tool.|
|PHPSESSID||This is a functional cookie which allows the website servers to respond to your actions; in this case, creating a chat session.|
|topNavLink||This is a cookie fired by Google via the x_qtag_2020701 cookie. See cookie info for more details.|
|VW_AUTH||This cookie is placed to authenticate and remember a user once they have logged into My VW.|
|VW_AUTH_REMEMBER_ME||This cookie is placed to authenticate and remember a user once they have logged into My VW.|
|VW_AUTH2||This cookie is placed to authenticate and remember a user once they have logged into My VW.|
|VW_DISPLAY_NAME||This cookie remembers your name details.|
|VW_DISPLAY_NAME||This cookie is placed to authenticate and remember a user once they have logged into My VW.|
|whichModelComparisons||This cookie will remember what trims you have selected to compare on the which model comparison tool.|
|x_qtag_2020701||This cookie is used to store session information for Qubit Analytics. This allows us to enable tests on our site to improve your experience.|
|_hjIncludedInSample||This cookie is set to let Hotjar know whether that visitor is included in the sample which is used to generate Heatmaps, Funnels, Recordings, etc.|
|_s3_id.60.0a15_s3_id.60.0a1fr||These cookies store website usage data to allow us to understand information such as browser usage, new visitor numbers and responses to marketing activity.|
|_s3_ses.60.0a15||These cookies store website usage data to allow us to understand information such as browser usage, new visitor numbers and responses to marketing activity.|
|_fbp||Used by Facebook to deliver a series of advertisement products such as real time bidding from third party advertisers.|
Third party cookies may come from partners that provide functional web tools for our site, other websites where we advertise and from social networks.
Examples of third party cookies:
Functional web tools: We offer some useful tools on Volkswagen.co.uk, such as the Volkswagen Used Car Locator which requires cookies from other Volkswagen group websites in order to allow it to find cars near to you.
Social network sharing: If you share content from Volkswagen.co.uk using social networks, such as Facebook and Twitter, you may be sent cookies from these websites.
Volkswagen advertising: We sometimes advertise on other websites. These adverts use third party cookies to help them to display personalised ads that are relevant to you.
If you want to find out more on cookies please visit www.allaboutcookies.org
|AMCV_tribalddb%40AdobeOrg||This cookie contain the ID of the user Adobe Experience Cloud, and will allow sessions of users to be linked into the correct analytics account.|
|AMCVS_tribalddb%40AdobeOrg||This cookie contain the ID of the user Adobe Experience Cloud, and will allow sessions of users to be linked into the correct analytics account.|
|poi||poi stands for Point of Interest and track longitude and latitude of a user within the Adobe Experience Cloud.|
|psyma_participation||This cookie is used to indicate your participation in the online Psyma survey, as well as to prevent multiple invitations during a visit to this website whilst the survey is live (approx. 30 days). It does not contain any data from the survey or any reference to the individual visitor.|
|s_cc||This cookies is set by Adobe Experience Cloud to verify whether cookies have been accepted or rejected.|
|s_getNewRepeat||This cookie allows us to determine whether a user is new to the site or has visited a number of times.|
|s_lv||This cookie records the time elapsed between two user sessions on the website.|
|s_lv_s||This cookies records the time of a users last visit to the website.|
|s_monthinvisit||This cookie is linked to a getVisitNum cookie which allows us to determine how many visits a user has made to the site. This allows us to determine that the reset period is a month.|
|s_ppn||This cookie retrieves the previous page name to support the s_ppv cookie plugin.|
|s_ppv||ppv stands for Percentage Page View. This allows us to track how far down the previous page a user scrolls so we can see how engaging our copy is.|
|s_ppvl||As with the s_ppv cookie, this cookie stores information about the percentage of the page the user has viewed.|
|s_sq||Alongside the other s_ cookies, this cookie identifies the journey an individual user takes through the site, and their interactions with it.|
|s_visit||This cookie, along with other s_ cookies allows us to keep track of individual user activity on the site.|
|s_vmonthnum||This cookie is linked to a getVisitNum cookie which allows us to determine how many visits a user has made to the site. This allows us to determine that the reset period is a month.|
|TCID||This cookie is used to collect information about how visitors use the site. The cookie contains an anonymous random ID to distinguish different users to avoid duplication.|
|TCSess||This cookie is used to collect information about how visitors use the site. The cookie contains an anonymous random ID to distinguish different browser sessions.|
|s_adserv||Cookie that limits ADSERV calls a maximum of once per visit. This is fired through the x_qtag_2020701 account.|
|_sdsat_Opt_Out||This cookie sets an opt out for cookies on the origin page for DTM cookies.|
|AMCV_1D59171B520E91320A490D44%40AdobeOrg||This cookie contain the ID of the user Adobe Experience Cloud, and will allow sessions of users to be linked into the correct analytics account.|
|demdex||Audience Manager sets this cookie to give site visitors an individual ID. The demdex cookie helps Audience Manager perform basic functions such as visitor identification, ID synchronisation, segmentation, modelling, reporting, and more.|
|s_vnum||The cookie stores the number of visits by a Unique Visitor. This makes it possible, e.g., to capture return frequency of a visitor over a 30-day period.|
|sc_appvn||The cookie stores the number of visits per application. Each application measured by Adobe Analytics is given a tracking name.|
|sc_prevpage||The cookie identifies the Volkswagen page previously visited by the user (previous page).|
|sc_prop32||This cookie tracks which application the user is currently on. The UK website is one of the digital tools available from VW.|
|_qsst_s||This cookies times a users session in seconds, so we can report of session duration.|
|_qst_s||This cookie tells us when to increment a users a user session.|
|AWSALB||Registers which server-cluster is serving the visitor. This is used in context with load balancing, in order to optimise user experience.|
|AWSELB||Registers which server-cluster is serving the visitor. This is used in context with load balancing, in order to optimise user experience.|
|CONSENT||Google consent is set to capture for location when using Google maps.|
|CookieControl||This is a functional cookie required by our web servers to respond to your actions. This cookie is required for the website to work.|
|ico-cookies||This is a functional cookie required by our web servers to respond to your actions. This cookie is required for the website to work.|
|ico-policy||This is a functional cookie required by our web servers to respond to your actions. This cookie is required for the website to work.|
|incap_ses_872_984643||This cookie is set to improve reliability, security and performance on the site to mitigate cyber threats and improved automated backend services.|
|visid_incap_984643||This cookie is set to improve reliability, security and performance on the site to mitigate cyber threats and improved automated backend services.|
|VISITOR_INFO1_LIVE||This cookie is used by YouTube (for videos embedded in the site) to measures your bandwidth to determine whether you get the new player interface or the old.|
|yt-remote-cast-installed||Stores the user's video player preferences using embedded You Tube video|
|yt-remote-connected-devices||Stores the user's video player preferences using embedded You Tube video|
|yt-remote-device-id||Stores the user's video player preferences using embedded You Tube video|
|yt-remote-fast-check-period||Stores the user's video player preferences using embedded You Tube video|
|yt-remote-session-app||Stores the user's video player preferences using embedded You Tube video|
|yt-remote-session-name||Stores the user's video player preferences using embedded You Tube video|
|ActivityInfo2||This along with other serving-sys cookies on the site are part of a group of cookies used for targeted advertising to users who have been on the Volkswagen UK site.|
|fr||Facebook’s primary advertising cookie, used to deliver, measure, and improve the relevancy of ads.|
|G3||This along with other serving-sys cookies on the site are part of a group of cookies used for targeted advertising to users who have been on the Volkswagen UK site.|
|NID||The NID cookie contains a unique ID Google uses to remember your preferences and other information, which can then be used to present relevant ads.|
|OT_3539||This along with other serving-sys cookies on the site are part of a group of cookies used for targeted advertising to users who have been on the Volkswagen UK site.|
|TDCPM||This cookie is used by our 3rd party trading platform. It contains data denoting whether a cookie ID is synced with our partners. ID syncing enables our partners to use their data from outside our trading platform on the platform.|
|TDID||This cookie is used by our third party trading platform. It contains a unique randomly-generated value that enables the platform to distinguish browsers and devices. It is matched against information – such as advertising interest segments and histories of ads shown in the browser or device – provided by Clients or other third parties and stored on the platform.|
|test_cookie||Part of the DoubleClick suite (which is used for serving user advertisements), this cookie tests whether a users browser is cookie compatible.|
|evergage||Required for the BBO personalisation tool to function across the website.|
|evergage_update||Required for the BBO personalisation tool to function across the website.|
|smartSignals2UiD||This is a cookie for Smart Signal Analytics used by both the UK and Global VW teams, and is required for the BBO personalisation tool to function across the website.|
|mt.expReg||These are temporary cookie placed on the site to allow us to test different content and optimise the website based on the results. These tests are being run on the fleet section of the site.|
|mt.mbsh||These are temporary cookie placed on the site to allow us to test different content and optimise the website based on the results. These tests are being run on the fleet section of the site.|
|mt.sc||These are temporary cookie placed on the site to allow us to test different content and optimise the website based on the results. These tests are being run on the fleet section of the site.|
Our social media channels are the best place to find out about all the latest Volkswagen news and products and to share your thoughts, pictures and videos.
We strive to create an open and transparent space for our community to engage; we will, however, remove posts that aren’t related to Volkswagen and/or violate the Terms and Conditions of Facebook. We have provided more detail on these guidelines and our moderation policy, below.
KEY COMMUNITY GUIDELINES
- Make sure you don't post any personal information, including specific information on your car, telephone numbers or address information
- Please don't post anything that's offensive, abusive, deceptive, defamatory, obscene, menacing, illegal, fraudulent, misleading, threatening, racist, sexist, or in any way discriminatory
- Please don't post any adverts, spam or links to irrelevant websites
- Please don’t post any commercial solicitations
- Keep it relevant - if you post something that is off-topic, then it may be removed
If contributors persistently ignore our community guidelines, we will seriously consider having posting privileges on our social media channels withdrawn.
We want to maintain an open and transparent conversation across our channels, but if the nature of your content infringes on the over-arching experience for our fans and followers we reserve the right to take action to mitigate against this happening. One of our customer service team may be in touch if an issue comes up in relation to our community guidelines.
We will, when necessary, remove comments from our social media content.
If a response to a Volkswagen UK social media post or a comment published on the community section of our Facebook page is perceived as breaching the community guidelines set out above, then it will be removed by the community moderation team, which will be carried out in the interests of maintaining the community standards appropriate for the vast majority of the people who visit.